The Connecticut Grounds Keepers Association was incorporated in March of 1970. Our beginnings were led by Sal Cioffi, Bob Gibbons, Jack Riccio, and Ted Stamen of UCONN. The first meeting for the Connecticut Grounds Keepers Association was held in a barn in Woodbridge, CT. Following the initial meeting, the Association held meetings at the homes of its Board of Directors for the next two years. Meetings increased in size and moved to the Agricultural Extension Service in Wallingford. After outgrowing this location meetings were then held at the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station in New Haven. Present day our Board of Directors meets once a month in New Haven, and we aspire to have a travelling circuit of monthly events to provide our members with an opportunity to meet close to home throughout the year.
Our first Conference was held at the Waverly Inn in Cheshire, CT and had undergone many evolutions as time has gone by. Our trade show at the former Hartford Civic Center drew as many as 1200 attendees and 200 exhibitors, and our annual Turf and Landscape Conference draws approximately 400 people and 50 vendors. We are proud of our 200+ members, and we strive to serve and provide value for our industry.